Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Perfect Weekend: ... begins with two besties cooking soup

Rarely does it seem to happen that everything just goes your way. This weekend, however, did just that. It all began Friday evening. Exhausted from a long work week, Ashley and I opted to stay in and make not one but two different homemade soups and pop in a chick flick. Much needed.

I've been on a corn kick lately and suggested we make the Food Network's Thai Corn Chowder Soup. I made it twice last year and was obsessed. It took a couple of tries, but Ash and I finally got together to make it. The flavors are great. It has a coconut milk base which makes it creamy. While at the same time it is super crunchy from loads of fresh veggies (radishes, tomatoes, corn, green onions, potatoes). Flat out amazing if you ask me. Eventually, I'll post the recipe. Ashley already did; so if you want to make it anytime soon (which I highly recommend you do) pop on over to her blog, This City Girl, for the recipe.

So pretty!

After realizing that we had a bunch of ingredients needed to make another Fall favorite soup, we decide to be ambitious and make Food 52's Potato-Leek Soup with Cheddar and Dill. Most of the items are in the name of the soup. However, it fails to mention the secret ingredient .... Dijon mustard. The mustard kicks the soup up a notch. This soup is great to make in large batches. I freeze the leftovers in an ice cube tray. This makes it simple to heat up a single serving in no time. Again, the recipe is on her blog.


After hours of soup making, I came home just in time to feed a tipsy boyfriend a fresh bowl of soup. I was delighted when he could not stop raving about it. All in all, a successful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...