Sunday, October 10, 2010

Great Minds Cook Alike: Seared Scallops and Pumpkin Soup

I've been plotting for my book club ... planning the menu and choosing a book. To lure my guests, I plan on making Butternut Squash Ravioli and Scallops in a Pea Puree. Ambitious, I know. But, I've been really excited about the scallops. Been dying to make this dish for a while.

I'm an avid reader of Women's Health and ran across a Seared Scallop and Pumpkin Soup recipe. It looked very similar to the scallop dish I had dreamt up for my book club. To top it off, my best friend Ashley forwarded an email from her co-worker that she had tried the dish and loved it. That was it - had to try it. Ashley and I went for drinks last night and talked about how we would both make it for dinner tonight. And, we did. It was amazing and super easy. The epitome of Fall. I loved it and so excited to modify it with peas for my inaugural book club dinner.

Image from Women's Health



You'll need :

  • 6 large sea scallops
  • 2 tablespoons hazelnuts (roughly chopped)
  • 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup broth (vegetable or chix)
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • Chopped chives for garnish
  • Salt & pepper
  • Olive Oil


Directions:

  • Roughly chop the hazelnuts and heat over medium heat for 5-7 minutes (shake freq. to avoid burning)
  • Combine pumpkin puree, butter, honey and broth in a pot and heat through
  • Salt and pepper pumpkin soup to taste
  • Pat dray scallops, season with salt and pepper
  • Heat olive oil in the bottom of a pan and add scallops 
  • Sear for 2-3 minutes on each side
  • Pour soup into wide-rimmed bowls, add scallops and garnish with chives and hazelnuts
  • Salt and pepper to taste

This recipe is surprisingly filling. It is delicious and perfect for a romantic dinner for two. Thanks Women's Health for a great, quick recipe. Looking forward to changing it up soon!

1 comment:

  1. I spotted this recipe in Woman's Health and clipped it immediately! Not only are scallops my absolute favorite, but the combination just sounds divine. Happy it now also has endorsement ~ thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...