Friday, October 22, 2010

Fresh Pea Soup ... and then some

I love soup. Especially when the weather starts to get a little chilly. Earlier this week I made a Fresh Pea Soup, starting with Ina's recipe posted on the Food Network website. It was delicious and is great hot or cold.




To make it, you'll need:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 leek chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 yellow onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2 cups veggie broth
  • 1 clove chopped garlic
  • 1 10 oz. bag of frozen sweet/spring peas
  • Creme fraiche (1/4 cup for soup and extra for garnish)
  • Chives for garnish
  • Salt & pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped

Directions:
  • Melt one tablespoon of butter in a pot, add leeks, onions and salt/pepper as desired. Saute for 10 minutes, adding garlic halfway.
  • Add broth to pot and heat for a few minutes. Once broth is warm, pour in the frozen peas and cook for three minutes.
  • Stir chopped mint into soup
  • Blend soup thoroughly adding 1/4 cup of creme fraiche (I also added some ricotta I had leftover).
  • Melt an additional tablespoon of butter in the pot and return mixture to the pot. Stir throughly. Allow soup to cool.
  • Serve soup cold or re-heat
  • Top soup with a dollop of creme fraiche and chopped chives.

Some additional soups I'm dying to try:

I love oysters and this looks SO yummy. Might need some lessons in schucking oysters.

My friend has made this a couple of times and raves about it. Looks like a great hearty soup for Fall.

I'm not a fan of clam chowder but this picture looks like I could become one in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. hooray for heavenly soup recipes! pea, white bean and clam chowder are some of my favorite recipes, along with butternut squash & sage soup.
    you are officially my new domestic goddess idol!
    happy weekend, darling...
    xo,
    sylvie of silver lining

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me how you'll make a bread bowl and I'm in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...