Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Adventures of Cara & Nate

It has been months & months since my last post and I thought I'd catch everyone up to speed on my crazy, hectic life full of weddings, road trips, home purchases and other life adventurers.

March
After traveling to a few cities to see if we could live somewhere other than Chicago, we submitted Nate's Match List for Residency. It was by far the hardest thing we had to do in our first year of marriage. I woke up several nights panicking and eventually it was time. I stood on stage with Nate as we opened the envelope to see where we would be living for the next 5 years. Gasp, so nervous. And, my rock star husband landed his number one choice ... which happens to be in Chicago! Phew.

March didn't end there. I hit up Palm Beach for a Bachelorette Party Weekend for one of my best gal pals. Enjoyed boating, poolside yoga, shopping, dancing and a trip to a fortune teller and flew directly to a work trip in NYC. Two days later I made it to Virginia Beach (via flight from Chicago to D.C.) for Nate's Sister's Wedding. Drove back (what?!).

April
We enjoyed a little Easter shindig at Grandpa's and officially decided to move out of our apartment with two weeks notice and nowhere to go. In the middle of packing, I drove  to St. Louis for Nate's brother's wedding. I don't do road trips, but do you see a theme emerging?! We drove back the next day.

At the end of the month, I witnessed my husband officially become a doctor, drove immediately back to the city for a wedding down the street and began moving the next day.

May
During the move, I got trapped at a storage facility with Nate, my sister and her boyfriend and stayed calm. I stayed calm again when Nate and I began camping out in her studio, while her and the boyfriend moved into our roomy one bedroom. Our studio adventurers helped us get our act together to buy our first home. In less than a month, we were pre-approved to buy a condo, found the condo and went under contract.

June
In June, we ventured to Madison for my baby sister's graduation and then drove (yes, another road trip. not sure what has gotten into me.) to Charleston to stand up in my friend Claire's wedding. Charleston was adorable. Claire was beautiful.

June was also a month for Grandparents. We rang in my Grandma's 90th with a surprise party (damn she looks good). And, we also found a weekend to visit Nate's Grandparent's in Detroit; most adorable grandparent couple ever.

July
We moved in with my parents, and my baby sister moved into the studio. Nate began his residency, I got promoted and we worked like mad people to figure out our first mortgage (warning: this is not easy!).

In the middle of this hectic month, we were featured on Style Me Pretty. What a great reminder of our special wedding last October.

August
We moved into our first place, in our dream building! The street and condo building also are home to lots of family memories (daddy/daughter dates, my parents rehearsal, my childhood home). With three sisters a few blocks apart ... watch out, Chicago!

A week later, a few of us girls put together one of the best bachelorette parties ever for my best girl, Ashley.

September
We had an amazing time at my best friend's wedding (she also looked beautiful)! And both started working crazy hours. We made another trip to Detroit to visit Nate's Grandfather, as his Grandma had just passed. Seeing Nate with his Grandfather is special; I know exactly what he will be like at the age of 90.

October (So Far)
I watched both of my sister's run the Chicago Marathon. They qualified for Boston and made their big sister extremely proud!

Made it to our first anniversary (today)!



Reflecting on the last few months (and our first year of marriage), I've learned I can conquer almost anything with the man I walked down the aisle with a year ago. While I am hoping the car trips are kept at a minimum, I know life with Nate will be one big adventure!

I Love You, Nate!

2 comments:

  1. Cara! Just wanted to say Happy Anniversary and congrats on a fun, exciting, and rewarding 1st year of marriage! Happy that things worked out for y'all to stay in Chicago and wish you all the best in your new home:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...